20 Argumentative Essay Topics For Middle School
An argumentative essay is designed to explain to your reader information about one side of an argument. It is a lot like a persuasive essay because the idea is to explain one side of an issue but the idea is to present the facts without your opinion involved. A persuasive essay would display personal opinions. So for an argumentative essay simply state which side of the issue you believe in and then give your reasoning as to why you believe it.
There are some great topics to consider when choosing a topic for your argumentative essay. You would choose a topic that interests you. Once you have the topic, answer the question and then support your answer with at least three reasons why you believe it. For example, if you take the first option on the list, you can write that sports should not be coed and then tell your reader three reasons why it shouldn’t be coed.
- Should sports be coed?
- Should schools sell fast food?
- Should students wear school uniforms?
- Should there be harsher punishments for bullying?
- Is it fair to ban preteenagers and teenagers from the mall without adult supervision?
- Should there be less homework?
- When are you old enough to stay home alone?
- Should middle school students still have a bed time?
- Does summer school benefit the student?
- How would you change the school lunch menu?
- Should school sports be mandatory?
- Do kids watch too much television?
- Should kids have chores?
- Should you have to wear your seat belt on the bus?
- Should students who play sports still have to take Gym class?
- Should children be more concerned with what they eat so that they don’t have health problems when they get older?
- Should you get a larger allowance?
- Should school be year round with more breaks to improve education?
- Do violent games and television shows make kids violent?
- Should your school have a school newspaper?
Any one of these topics would work well. They are designed to establish a question pertaining to a conflicted view and then challenge yourself to prove your stance. Therefore, you would tell your side of the dispute and then for each body paragraph talk about a different reason why you believe it.
Where to find original 7th grade essay topics to assign to students
If you are assigning a 7th grade essay you may be struggling to find a topic that is original and that your students would not have written about before. As a teacher it is up to you to come up with the various essay topics assigned to students but so often it seems that 7th graders are given the same topics year after year. This presents no challenge for them especially if they have older siblings or older friends who have written on the topic before and already exposed them to it. It also doesn’t help if it is an unoriginal and common topic because chances are it will be available online and students won’t be forced to think critically about it.
So if you can only think of topics that have already been written about or that other students are covering you need to find a place that has original topics. But where can you find original 7th grade essay topics to assign to your students? The internet has a vast array of potential topics. The best part about is that you can take topics intended for older audiences and then craft them to fit within your grade level or the course you are teaching.
Reviewing previous examples for a high school science class might inspire you to degrade the topic a bit and make it more 7th grade appropriate. You can look into high school literature topics and take from it a topic that is better suited for a 7th grader but is also unique and never before covered in your class.
Review these example topics below and see if anything strikes you:
- Should it be illegal to deny the Holocaust?
- Has the creation of Homeland Security made America safer?
- In certain states cheating on a spouse is illegal. Should cheaters be prosecuted? If a law is never enforced, is it still considered a law?
- Should illegal immigrants be allowed citizenship? Should there be different statuses for them with limitations?
- Are children less socialized and less intelligent because of the internet?
- Should juvenile offenders be tried as adults?
- Should we cease importing Chinese-manufactured toys because of the threat of lead poisoning?
These topics can be expanded or deflated to fit your needs and the level of your class. You might even propose different degrees of difficulty for a particular assignment and assign them to students based on their previous grades.
Looking for help with essay or term paper? Hire an exert essay writer from Mycustomessay.com - professional essay writing service.